Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Mother Bridge of Love.................

I ordered this book for Faith after listening to it at the link below. The first time I heard this I got very choked up and found it very emotional. I have not let Faith listen to it yet as I want to wait until we get the book and I want to be the first to read it to her. We have always told Faith's story to her from the beginning about her being born in China and all about our going over there to bring her home. She watches her "China video" quite often and she feels proud that she was born in China. She will tell people where she was born and when we see babies she will say that she was a baby in China. She also recognizes China on maps and anything related to China she seems to pick it out. She knows she was adopted because we have always used the word adopted with her and we have many books we read explaining adoption. How much she has actually comprehended I am not real sure. She has never really asked too many questions and I have been waiting to talk to her about anything further and deeper until she brings up questions. I don't know if by us choosing not to focus much on her "birth mother" from the very beginning was the right thing to do, but I think that we all do what we feel in our heart is the best thing for our child. We have always read books that casually mentions the birth parents, but they focus more on the adoption process and China itself. Lately I have been feeling that it is time now to share more. Faith has been commenting on things that I believe she may be searching some answers for. I found this book to be a beautiful way of explaining some things and a way of opening up questions.

This past week we have started one of our "resolutions" of putting all of our old videos onto DVDs. We have been watching all the old videos of the boys when they were small and I do feel watching these has affected Faith with some emotions watching her brothers as tiny babies. At one time she wanted to know where she was and I thought it was very sweet when Reed said, "Faith, you were still just a thought up in heaven." I know for myself being a Mom to both biological and an adopted child one thing I have learned is that your children are your children no matter what. The bonding and complete love you feel for your child is exactly the same. It does not matter if your child did not physically grow inside of you...when they grow in your heart and the moment you hold your child there is a love and bond there like nothing else in the world. I look at my beautiful, amazing daughter and admire her zest for life and am so proud of who she is. I beam just to think I may have a small part in the person she is becoming. I may not expain all her questions just right or have every answer for her, but I hope and pray she will always feel the complete love I feel for her and that she will know that she has made my life complete.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I wonder all the time when Mia will have questions and if I'll be able to answer them in the best way possible. Thanks so much for this post...I will be buying this for Mia and reading it together...someday :)

Ramona said...

I agree so completely with you sentiments. There is no difference in my love for my biological child and my adopted child. I find my love for Katie-Beth overwhelming some-times. And I do worry about how I will answer the questions she is bound to have. Thanks for telling us about this book!

Ramona