Thursday, March 05, 2009

Beautiful Sonoma~


We have had so much rain here lately. It has been raining pretty much non stop for the last month. We need it desperately so I guess I shouldn't complain, but I am sooooooo ready for some sunny weather!!! After a week of not having sun on my face or not being able to take the dogs on their walk I start feeling depressed. It makes me wonder how I survived living in England:)! Although funny, when living there I didn't seem to mind the rain at all. We have had a few days with a break here and there so a couple weeks ago we decided to take a Saturday drive to Sonoma for some shopping and lunch. Although cloudy at least it was not raining! The drive through the country side is so gorgeous...............


Sonoma is such a pretty town full of quaint shops. I love just walking around window shopping.




The kids were bored, but real troopers with letting me have my time to window shop. As long as they were fueled with ice cream and smoothies that is................


Their goofy faces they gave me when I tried to take a picture

Faith found this sweet little case in one of the boutiques. She fell in love with it when she saw it and I was so excited because she usually does not like anything too girly. Of course I just had to get it for her!



Faith had to carry her case around. So sweet!!

And before we left we just had to drive by to check on our new house that HGTV has built just for me!!!! hee hee ;) Hey, I can dream can't I!!!!


Isn't it gorgeous!!!! Has anyone else been addicted to entering the HGTV home give away like I have? I entered everyday! I just love this house! Especially the wrap around porch.

They were giving tours, but were sold out for the day. Not that we would have tried to go anyway with 3 restless kids. It was fun just being able to drive by and to see it so close. After staring at it on the computer for so long it felt very familiar yet surreal seeing it in person. I took these photos from the car. Once we left Sonoma Dale turns to me and says, "Why didn't you get out and have me take a photo of you in front of the house?" My reply.... "Great". "Now you say it." "Why didn't you think of saying that when we were there!"lol
I did not even think about it and the minute he said that I was bummed. Oh well!

Ohhhhh I just love this house!!!!!
And speaking of houses we are really searching our hearts right now with where we are meant to buy a home and settle. After spending our life in the Navy and moving every couple of years we came to California almost 4 years ago after Dale's Navy retirement with no intentions of staying. We came here because Dale was offered a good job and with us retiring from England we felt it best that he take it so we could get settled back in the States and then decide what to do. We always planned on moving back to Texas, where I am from, to be around family. Our kids never experienced living around family and we wanted to give that to them.
The opportunity has come up to either stay here or move to Texas. It is totally up to us. Dale's company does not want to loose him and they are willing to let him relocate and work out of the home. Of course they prefer him to stay here, but understand our situation. Dale loves his job and wants to stay with his company until he retires. The idea of working out of the home is both scary and exciting.
We have grown to love California. Financially things have not been easy for us here. Without going into too much the housing market really did us in. We know it could have been a lot worse and we were able to sell our home we bought here. With watching all the homes foreclose around us we realize how lucky we are. The kids have become very settled here with their schools, friends, and activities. It really has started to feel like home here.
Then again, we have the opportunity to be near family and have Dale work at home. We are torn and struggling with what is best for us. Being in the military we were always told where we would be going. Now that it is up to us to decide we can not do it. We have some big decisions to make in these next few months. Please pray that we make the decision that is best for our family!
Then again, maybe I'll win the HGTV house and our decision will be made for us!!!! lol

Have a great week-end!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh Sonoma is just gorgeous and so quaint! It reminds me of the Hamptons (out east on LI). I love HGTV and cannot believe you got to see the house in person!! Hmmm, you do have a big decision, but you will all know what is the right move...but I'll keep you in my prayers :)

Beverly said...

I love all the pictures! I will be praying for you guys. I know just how you feel, not knowing where to make your home. It is hard! I am scared about having to move in two years with Joel's job. I love that house too! It reminds me of homes back in PA. I hope you win it!!! Oh, and I love Faith's little suit case, too cute!

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Sonoma looks beautiful....and it sounds as though you are having fun!!

Thinking of you all as you work through the decision that you are faced with.....That HGTV home would be nice, wouldn't it!!

Lisa

The Byrd's Nest said...

You KNOW Texas is the best...come on down! I LOVE the wrap around porch and have always wanted one. A sweet friend of mine has one and I covet it every time we go there to play:(

The pictures are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I am in love. I want to go there now :)!

Ramona said...

Wow, what a tough decision. Of course, you know I couldn't survive without having my family around. But it is always so hard to leave where you are settled. Good luck with the decision!

t~ said...

Thanks for stopping by! Your family is beautiful and I love to see those older brothers with that little sister. Goodluck on your moving decision. It isn't an easy choice to make, I know. We lived 5 states away from our family from the day we got married and moved back during a time when my Dad was so sick. Needless to say, we moved back to Fla and could not be happier with our decision. Life is always beautiful, no matter where you live.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

Sonoma is so beautiful!!!! I miss CA so much. That is my home. I miss the sunshine and warm weather. But I'm here in Chicago now so I have to suck it up I guess. My son is up for a transfer back to CA and he hopes he gets it...he is homesick too.
I completely understand wanting to be near family. I miss mine...: ( The pictures of your kids are so cute! You have such a beautiful family.

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Wow, pretty house. Will pray while you make a decision, just trust that god will make your way clear. I understand the desire to be near to family and feeling torn cos you have settled somewhere else.
Love Jules
xxx

Portia Cason said...

What a lovely day! I, too, was taken completely by surprise that I did not win the HGTV house. I had my bags packed and ready to move in!