Monday, December 29, 2008

~Christmas Memories 2008~



I really didn't mean to start this post with a picture of my Christmas present, but I forgot to add a photo of it below and I just had to show it off!!!:) It really is the coolest and most comfortable bike! I love it! I was having a tough time finding a cruiser bike that was comfortable (hey, I'm not that young anymore!). Dale did some research and special ordered this for me. Thanks sweetie!!! I love it!

~Christmas Eve~

Christmas Eve day was spent visiting neighbors and delivering goodies. We always go to the early candlelight church service at 5:30 and then come home and let the kids open one gift. This year we were invited to spend the evening with Reed's best friends family so we did things a little different and let them open their gifts before church. I also had Faith take a nap before church because I knew it would be a long evening for her. She actually fell asleep which was a real shocker! She never naps anymore. I had to wake her up just in time to get going to church on time. And of course I had to get some photos before we left! Even with the family complaining and the boys calling me the "Christmas police" I insisted on photos!!:)

Faith still half asleep before leaving for church.

She's wearing her pearls I bought for her when we were in China....
Faith was so sleepy, but I just love this photo of her


Faith and Mommy in their matching pearls

My Christmas blessings..........


We used the self timer to get these family pictures. It was hilarious because the dogs were jumping all over us like we were playing some kind of game.

I guess they wanted in the photo too!!

We had a really nice evening at our friends house, but it did make for a pretty rough night with Santa not coming to our house until 3:00!!! (And I have to admit I missed our cozy quiet traditional Christmas Eve) We got home around 10:00, but Reed could not fall asleep, I think from all the excitement of being at his friends house. This is also the first year for Reed to start having doubts about Santa.

We also had to say farewell to our "elf on the shelf" Tom! See you next year Tom! Thanks for sending Santa such great reports on the kids!:)
(Faith really enjoyed this elf on the shelf! It was the first year we started it and every morning she had to go find Tom. The boys had to act cool about it, but they even had fun searching for him. Although he did creep Reed out a little:)


~Christmas Morning~

Yes Reed! There is a Santa Claus!!!!!
coming down stairs Christmas morning.............

Santa came!!!!!!!

Each year Faith puts a Santa hat on Christmas morning. It is a tradition she started all on her own. So so cute!!!!




The kids are always complaining about the pencils in our house needing to be sharpened. With all the homework they have we are always sharpening pencils! So I bought them an electric pencil sharpener. Here they are opening it together.
With all the excitement we forgot to let the dogs out. They were waiting patiently.
the boys checking out their new Star Wars collection
Just love those faces!

Reed working intently on his special Lego set

Faith loves her new mini from Grandma and Grandpa!!!

Hey, Mommy wants a mini too!!;)

Daddy taking a rest on his new chair back massage.
Reed summed our Christmas up as he does every year!! He says "This was the best Christmas ever!" When he said it this year Dale and I looked at each other and laughed. Honestly he says it every year. It is the sweetest thing. We said to him Reed, you say that every year! His reply was "but seriously this really was the best one!"
With the kids growing up a good part of their childhood military (especially the boys) our Christmas' were always spent in a different house, state, or country. We never were fortunate to spend Christmas around extended family (with the exception of one year when were stationed in the DC area around Dales family) Long ago it used to really bother me that our children would not grow up having Christmas memories around a bunch of family, but in time I have grown to love what has become our traditional Christmas. With all of our travels it has made for some exciting and interesting times around the holidays. One year while stationed in Spain we took a Mediterranean cruise right near Christmas time. We went with some friends of ours and together our children romped through Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Pisa, Monte Carlo, Pompeii, Malta, and an entire Spanish cruise ship. But with all of our travels we have always made sure we our "home" at our house on Christmas Eve and Day no matter where that might be. It is the one thing we felt we always wanted the children to have. There may be years that it is only us celebrating together as a family, but that's OK. I think we have taught our children the gift that home is where the heart is and that can be many places.


So here's to our Christmas 2008~our 4th Christmas spent in California!
It may have just been us, but it was the BEST Christmas ever!:)

13 comments:

Beverly said...

I LOVE your new bike!!! So pretty!!!! I also love your photo on the header and all of the Christmas day pics too! LOL
glad you all had a wonderful day!
Love, Beverly

day by day said...

Hi Colleen!

This is such a beautiful post!!! I love all of the pictures you posted...especially the family ones! I also love how you captured the excitement of the kids running down the stairs and opening their gifts. Way to capture the moment!!

So glad that your family had such a special Christmas...the best ever!! : )

love,
~Michelle

Joanne said...

This is the BEST post ever (and I won't say that every post :)
Really, what a touching, special wonderful post full of wonderful pictures. I feel like I was there!
You all are such a special family!
P.S. Love your bike! And I have never heard of a "mini", but oh is it something!!!

Dawn said...

What a wonderful post...your Christmas looked Perfect! I love the picture of you and Faith in your pearls...she is just so beautiful, and so are you!

I am totally coveting your bike!!!! I just love it! You are going to look fabulous riding around on that little beauty!

Happy New Year to your sweet family!

Shawnstribe said...

Happy Happy Christmas and New Year to you and your very gorgeous special Family.
May 2009 be full of blessings
love
xxx
s

Ellen said...

Dear Colleen and family,

A very, very Happy New Year to all of you! It has been lovely to catch up on your world today ... such an inspiring family!

Cowgirl is finally starting to settle back into a routine, though I've insisted on naps this week as well! I hadn't expected her to be SO excited at just over 3 years old, but she WAS! Slept for only about 3 hours on Christmas Eve, bless her!

It must have been magical in your house this Christmas with all the family, and the furry ones as well! Hasn't Pearl grown!!! Bella will be a year in February - hard to believe we took her home in our cat carrier just 8 months ago! Ruby is gorgeous and Pearl is just adorable ... perfect fits into your beautiful family!

Your children are absolutely gorgeous with spirits to match! I've so enjoyed catching up on all your festivities today!

Wishing you all a truly wonderful year in 2009. May it bring a sweet balance of all the things you hope for.

Ellen xxx

3 Peanuts said...

Colleen
The kit you asked about it from Studio Girls and it is called Fairy TAles. It is really cute and when I have more time I plan to do more with it>

Kim

Happy New Year!

Missy said...

Colleen,

This is the sweetest post! The love that is in your family just jumps through every single photo. You are blessed beyond measure. I agree with Reed, it looks like the BEST Christmas ever. Such a sweet, sweet family you are!

Lori said...

Colleen, your Christmas photos are so fun...I love your new wheels and also the matching pearls. :)
Seasons Greetings and blessing to your family in the New year!

Joanne said...

Colleen, I bought the "school house" gift online at T@rget - not sure if it's in the stores...sorry, I should have mentioned that sooner!!

Colleen said...

Thanks Joanne! I will check it out online!:)

Paula said...

What a lot of neat pics. You guys had a great Christmas. The matching pearl necklaces are so sweet.

Ramona said...

Merry Late Christmas! It looks like you had a great one! And the kids look like the really enjoyed it! It's funny, Mike bought me the red version of that bike a couple of years ago! I love it, just wish I had more time to ride it.

I can't believe how big Pearl is! What a pretty little dog she is turning into!