Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dean's 13th Birthday.......................

Dean's 13th Birthday celebration at his favorite Italian restaurant!


his favorite "ice cream cake"
(No, I'm afraid the only thing I can take credit for is picking it up at Baskin Robbins:)




We have been getting Dean an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins for the last 5 years now. Five years ago on his birthday while living in England we had to take an 8 hour drive to an American military base to have Faith's evaluation with the early intervention specialists. We celebrated Dean's birthday at the military exchange mall and the only cake we could find was the ice cream cake. He LOVED it and was hooked! Every year now he asks for an ice cream cake:)









Dean's birthday wasn't the perfect day I had planned for and wanted for him. I knew as soon as I picked Faith and Reed up for school it was going to be "one of those" evenings!:0 They were both obviously very tired from our beach day the previous day and staying up so late. When Faith is tired she gets very silly and talks non stop (I mean non stop!) When Reed is tired he is moody and just not pleasant to be around (putting it nicely) Put the two of them together when they are tired and it makes for one not so happy Mommy. I lectured them on the way to pick up Dean how this is their brothers day and they need to try and get along and help make his day special...blah, blah, blah.........(they didn't hear a word I said amongst all the bickering). That's OK the "13 Year Old" will be happy and that's all that matters! Wrong! Dean gets to the car and he is stressed! Dean takes school very seriously (which I am thankful for, but not on his birthday!), he has tons of homework and he's afraid with his birthday plans he's not going to be able to get it all done. He asks if we can just skip the plans and stay home. What! I had the perfect evening planned.....dinner and then bowling and then home for cake and presents. "OK, we'll skip the bowling but we are going out to dinner at your favorite restaurant." I am determined to make this a great birthday for him!!!
So as soon as Daddy gets home we set off with one overly silly, one moody, and one stressed birthday boy and end up having a "as good as can be expected" dinner. Then it was home to race through singing "Happy Birthday" and presents so we could start homework, baths, and bedtime! Not the "13" Birthday I had envisioned for Dean, but he had his favorite pizza and ice cream cake so hey! he was happy! And everyone woke up the next day in much better moods!


Dean, you never complain and are always so grateful for everything! How we got so lucky is beyond me! We wish you a year full of blessings and happiness!!!!!! We love you so so very much!!!!!

10 comments:

JMCS said...

Hope Dean had a happy birthday! I love those ice cream cakes too, they are so good. Dean sounds like a terrific son. :)

Hugs,
JOnni

Somewhere In The Sun said...

You know, in a few years Dean will not remember the "bad moods" but he will remember the traditions. You are making wonderful memories and they don't have to be "perfect". You did good Mom! :D
We had pizza for Joe's birthday too!

~Lynn

Ramona said...

Omigosh! A 13 year old who wants to skip his birthday so he can finish his homework! What a great kid! I'm glad you insisted on dinner and cake though. Birthdays need to be celebrated!

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday to Dean! The photos are wonderful!

De Lucchi Family Treasures said...

Hey colleen, I have a 13 year old too - its lovely and hectic all at the same time!! In fact my Daniel is 13 and a half and he has grown 2 inches in that half!!
They change so much in their teenage years and I am excited and scared to death of what these years ahead are going to bring.
We will have to share teenage experiences! Great blog, love the photos, love Julia (UK)

day by day said...

Oh, I know just what you mean! Some days we just really want to be special for someone we love...and things just don't always go that way!

Looks like Dean had a fun birthday, though...and that cake sure looks yummy!!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

That cake looks absolutely amazing! Happy Birthday!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Happy Birthday, Dean!! Yes, the ake looks yummy - but I was really wanting some of the fettucine alfredo!!

Sharon said...

We have time litke that too! I know he saw all you did and not what was missing. And he feels that great family life all year long! I can't believe how much the brothers look alike in that one shot!

All the food looks really really good!!!

I know I already said it in the last post but happy 13th Dean! That is such a special one!!!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Dean and I like the same foods for our birthday!!!

The party must have been great fun!

Happy belated birthday Dean!!!