Back in May I found this Russian tortoise on our culdesac crawling near the street. I didn't want him getting run over by a car so I carried him home. Of course the kids were excited asking if we could keep him. We asked around if anyone knew of a missing turtle, but no one claimed him. We made a home for him in a huge planters box in our backyard until we decided what to do with him.
I took him to our local pet store to see if I could find out more about him. We were told he was a Russian tortoise and that he was very healthy. The kids had already named him "Comcast" and we were all really enjoying him. He seemed happy in his new home so for the next 4 months he lived in our backyard.
I took him to our local pet store to see if I could find out more about him. We were told he was a Russian tortoise and that he was very healthy. The kids had already named him "Comcast" and we were all really enjoying him. He seemed happy in his new home so for the next 4 months he lived in our backyard. With the weather getting cooler I noticed he was slowing down. He had made a nice burrow for himself that he was staying in a great deal of the time. I did research on the internet and realized with the weather getting cooler there was going to be alot more care involved in keeping this little guy. They can hibernate for the winter, but you want to prepare the turtle for this. You can keep them inside for the winter, but you must make the perfect environment complete with sun lamps etc.. We began to worry that we might not be able to care for him properly. After discussing it with the kids last week we all decided the best thing for Comcast would be to find him a home with someone that knows how to care for turtles in their best environment.
So today I took him back to our local pet store and asked them if they could find him a home. One of the young girls there says she raises turtles and that she would take him. She said he was very healthy which made me very happy to know we were taking good care of him. He was a great little turtle and we know we did what was best for him. I find myself missing the little guy, I think even more so then the kids.
our first turtle...even if it was for a short time

5 comments:
What a cute little guy! And what a wonderful example for your kids...in doing what is best for someone/something else...even when it is sad for us. : (
((hugs))
have a great day!!!
Oh, he's cute! I'm glad you found a happy home for him!
Awww.....I am not a huge critter fan but he probably did grow on you huh?
He is a cute turtle. I'm happy that he will be well cared for.
Awww....I am glad Comcast has a new home. You really did a good job at teaching your kids how it is important to properly care for something or someone we love. They will remember that for life.
I hope Comcast has a great life!
Post a Comment